History Hashtag #OldSchool
- Bret and Amber Tueller

- 17 hours ago
- 2 min read

With a new school year just around the corner, we wanted to look back at the beginnings of education in Parker.
In the early 1870s, James Parker was the owner of the Twenty Mile House, a prosperous mercantile store and stage stop for travelers in the settlement of Pine Grove, which was renamed Parker in 1884. A few years later, when his daughter reached school age, James built a small school just south of the Twenty Mile House.
Parker Consolidated Schoolhouse
In 1914, the Parker Consolidated Schoolhouse was built to accommodate the growing number of students at Pine Grove School, as well as students from the Plainfield and Allison schools.
One of the principal contractors for construction of the school was William H. O’Brien of Parker. The beautiful two-story brick building was a huge upgrade from the small wooden schoolhouse, although it still did not have electricity or indoor bathrooms. Two outhouses stood on the school property, one for boys and one for girls.
In 1924, Andrew Johnson, the local bank president, purchased and donated a generator for the school to share with Ruth Memorial Church.
School Life in Early Parker
Originally, the school housed grades one through twelve. Two elementary grades were taught in each classroom on the first floor. The second floor contained an office, high school classrooms, and an auditorium. The basement housed a lab and home economics classes.
Students even had a school newspaper and yearbook. The school colors were green and white, and the mascot was the buffalo.
High school students attended the Parker schoolhouse until 1958, when they began attending Douglas County High School.

From Schoolhouse to Community Landmark
In the 1970s, the building was purchased and used by the United Methodist Church.
In 1996, the schoolhouse, neighboring Ruth Memorial Church, and old church parsonage were purchased by the Town of Parker. The Mainstreet Center became a town cultural center and included a small history museum space featuring a historic classroom setup.
Today, the building is known as The Schoolhouse at Mainstreet. It has been renovated by the Town of Parker and is once again a gathering place for the community, hosting classes, shows, and events.
From Horses and Buggies to Modern Parker Schools
It is amazing to look at the transformation through these historic photos.
There was a time when horses and buggies brought Parker children to school. Knickerbockers, hats, dresses, and laced boots were normal school attire.
While Parker has changed dramatically, the community's need and desire for education have remained.
With the tremendous growth of the town, Parker is now home to three high schools and numerous elementary, middle, and charter schools.
The classrooms may look very different, but education continues to be an important part of the Parker community.



